Eastcote CC - history

History of Eastcote Cricket Club



It is probable that Eastcote men have been playing cricket in the old Eastcote meadows for at least a hundred years in the long June evenings. Straight from work they came without wasting much time on tea and a wash.

Eastcote v Harefield 15 August, 1865
Hanging in the fine modern pavilion in the Haydon Hall ground is a photostat copy of a page from the Harefield Club's scorebook certifying that the village had a team in 1865. The exact date of the match was Tuesday, 15th August.

As far as one can decipher the score sheets were as follows:-

It is evident from this record that Eastcote could put an eleven in the field in the 1860's. Whether there was an organised club as we understand it we cannot be sure. It is obvious, too, that they played cricket in Eastcote without a break from the 1860's until the present day except during the 1939-1945 war which was much too critical a time.

An Institute XI

In the1890's there was an Institute Cricket Club as well as an Eastcote Club. Mr Charles Moore has told me that in one season there was a keener rivalry than ever between the two elevens and the Institute carried off all the honours until in one match Charlie made the first of his centuries against them and Eastcote triumphed.

There is a note in the Parish Magazine about the Institute cricket in 1894. The report stated that various cricket matches had been played during the summer, the most successful being when an Institute XI went to Ottershaw Park, Chertsey, where they were liberally entertained by Mr Laurence Baker (who had moved from Haydon Hall) after gaining a well earned victory in the field against the Park Club.

Mr R Moore (father of Charles) was the Secretary and reported seven matches, four won, two lost and one drawn. Charlie Moore evidently was playing for the Institute in that season for he headed the batting averages with an average of fifteen for seven innings. Also he took twenty wickets in five innings. G Hawkins took twenty in seven innings. W Bugden had an average of ten runs for four innings.

By courtesy of Mr D Norris, who was secretary for many years, I was able to make a study of the score books for the years 1903 to 1910, a period when the Club played cricket of a high standard in the beautiful grounds of Haydon Hall, a typical village cricket ground loaned rent free by Mrs Edwards. From these records I made the following list of regular players: A Bedford (81 games), W Bentley (53), A Cartledge (97), G Ellement (151), E J Edwards (46), F Gregory (60), C R Moore (152), E Mount (36), A Nash (94), S Nash (102), A Petley (48), L Tobutt (90), A Wright (116).

Charlie Moore and Alf Nash are the only two surviving members (JAN.1963) as far as I know, Charlie, who still lives in Joel Street, helped me to identify these players. A Bedford was assistant kennel man at Haydon Hall. W Bentley was a bank manager and afterwards captained West Herts C.C. A Cartledge was head kennel man at the Hall. E J Edwards was the son of Mrs Edwards. Fred Gregory was a member of the footballing family of Pinner. E Mount was head gardener at the Hall. A Nash was engaged in the timber trade and was born at Haydon Hall Farm. S Nash, brother of Alf. Was landlord of The Starling. A Petley was a carpenter, son of a Pinner grocer. L Tobutt, of Southill Farm, afterwards played in Lancashire League cricket. A Wright, who lived in Haydon Hall Cottage, was captain of the Club from 1887 to 1905, when he was presented with an electroplated teapot by his clubmates on his retirement from the captaincy. In 1901 and 1902 he won the cup presented by Mr E J Edwards for the highest batting average.

Five Wickets in an Over
By courtesy of his daughter, Joy (Mrs Honour), I am able to quote from a contemporary press report of a match, played in 1908 against Chorley Wood. In this match Mr Wright took 8 wickets for 18 runs. One over delivered by him was sensational, five men being clean bowled, two with the first two deliveries and three with the last three balls, the last ball smashing the middle stump.

We went down to Chorley Wood on a Saturday afternoon last summer (1962) when a match was in progress on the Common to try and check the date of the above match and found two interesting old Chorley Wood cricketers who played on that memorable occasion &endash; H Darvell (of a firm of builders) and Ben White, both nonagenarians.

One Hundred and thirty-four names are recorded as casual players in the books from 1903 to 1910. The 1910 book does not record a complete season.

Of these men the following played in a few more matches than the rest: H Abercrombie (17 games), auctioneer's son. M Hawkins (49), from Harrow. C Stone (22), from Pinner. J E Butterfield (25), an actor, from Pinner. H Brett (40), a gardener. G H Veray (14), independent.

Other well remembered names occur: C Joel played 12 times, 1903-4, and J Joel 15 times. J Husbands, 16 times, 1903-5. Captain Yarde-Buller played once in 1908, when he lived at Mistletoe Farm. Major d'Aeth played in 12 matches from 1903 to 1910, when he occupied Eastcote Grange. E Wiles, of Joel Street Farm, played in 14 matches from 1903 to 1907.

These are the chief opponent clubs during 1903 to 1910:- Bushey, Bushey Heath, New Bushey, Chesham, Croxley, Chorley Wood, Rickmansworth, Amersham, Pinner Village, Watford, Kodak, Ickenham, Northwood, Eastcote Institute, South Ealing, Ealing St Johns, Neasden, Sudbury, Wembley Park, St Johns Wood, Westbourne Park, Leavesdon, Roxeth Institute, Ealing Police, Harlesden Police, Herne Hill, Harrow Weald, and elevens like F Deer's XI, E J Evelyn's XI, H W Higgins' XI, Mouchers (Harrow), E J Edwards' XI, and Quadrant.




Memorable Games


During this period Eastcote was honoured by visits from outstanding cricketers who played for their counties and for famous amateur clubs like the Cross Arrows. Here is the record of a notable game played at Haydon Hall in July 1904 no date to it, but the previous score sheet was dated July 9th). In this match, in spite of Jessop's century, Eastcote won by 182 to 152.


Here are the scores of another memorable match played between Mr Evelyn's XI and Mr Edwards' XI on Haydon Hall ground, September 18th, 1906:


Mr Moore has told me that he started playing for Eastcote when he was 16 and, though he became a successful slow bowler for Northwood as well as Eastcote, he did not bowl at first until on one occasion &endash; as often happens &endash; he was put on to bowl and took several wickets. He won the trophy for bowling for several years and holds a cup presented by Mr E J Edwards for the highest batting average. It seems that by about 1910 the regular eleven that had played such first-class cricket had disintegrated. Gradually the players left Eastcote and by degrees a new club altogether was formed. Charlie Moore himself had played for Northwood several times before he finally joined that club on moving to Northwood about 1911.


To refer to fixture cards lent me by Mr D Norris, one for 1895 prints eight matches against Ickenham, Harefield, Bayswater and Pinner; six of these games started in the morning and were played in Field End, a field owned by Mrs Lawrence behind Field End House Farm.




Eastcote Institute C.C.


The next one has something to say of the history of the Club25 years on when the Club was called Eastcote Institute C.C. and they played in the grounds of the Hall. The President naturally was Mr E J Edwards.


The Committee consisted of :


Mr R Allday (of Parkwood Cottage, Fore Street)


Mr J Bayley (The Orchard, Cheney Street)


Mr J Coombes (Eastcote Lodge Cottage)


Mr G Ellement (Catlins Lane)


Mr A Honour (Avondale, Fore Street)


Mr E Tapping (High Road).




The Secretary: Mr H Honou


Treasurer: Mr C Benson (The Post Office, Eastcote)


Captain: A Wright (Haydon Hall Cottage)




It contains a list of patrons:




Sir J Anderson (Pinner Place)


Col. Warrender (High Grove)


Major Illingworth (The Barns, Field End)


Mr E T Brown (The Cottage, Eastcote Village)


Mr A R de Lissa (Mistletoe Farm)


Mr Dore (Eastcote Point)


Mr K Goschen (Sigers )


Mr Gregory (Litcombe, Catlins Lane)


Mr Hall (Field End)


Mr Jeffery (Orchard Cottage)


Mr Lacey-Smith (Spring Cottage, High Road)


Mr Lee, Mr W McClellan (Newestead, Fore Street)


Mr P Matthews (The Retreat, Field End)


Mr G Philip (Horn End, Cheney Street)


Mr Robinson (South Hill, Eastcote)


Mr Stevens


Mr Stanfield


Mr Tarry (The Grange)


Mr Webber (Park Farm)


Mrs Vivian (Field End House).


There were twenty fixtures from 15th May to 25th September. Matches with their neighbours included Harrow Weald, Ruislip Manor, Northwood, Watford, Ruislip, and I think it must have been Mr George Ellement who secured fixtures with Euston (L and NW) Police and the Railway Clearing House. Eastcote and Ruislip Manor C.C.


By 1922 the Club was named Eastcote and Ruislip Manor C.C. There were two elevens. Messrs Nichols and Wynn were Captains of the First XI and Messrs Aldrige and Dalton led the Second. Mr C Benson, of Ash Tree Cottage, was still the Treasurer, but there were two Secretaries, Messrs Whittingham, of New Cottage, Eastcote, and Wootton of Ruislip.


The President was again Mr E Edwards, and Patrons and Vice-Presidents included some new names:


Mrs Bennett Edwards


Mrs E Edwards


Mr E T Brown (The Cottage, Eastcote Village)


Mr J Buckland (The Black Horse)


Mr B J Hall (Field End)


Mr W Jackson


Mr C W Selway


Mr C H M Toy


Mr J Marshall (The Grange, Eastcote)


Mr E J Simpson


Mr C Mason


Mr H E H Prowting


Mr J Sims


Mr Hilary Edwards.




A list of members is included. These forty-one lived in Eastcote:


C Benson (Ash Tree Cottage)


J Buckland (Black Horse)


H Dalton (34 Coteford Close)


E Edwards (Haydon all)


Mrs Bennett Edwards (Haydon Hall)


Mrs E Edwards (Haydon Hall)


Mr H Edwards (Haydon Hall)


G Ellement (Catlins Lane)


G Golding (Myrtle Farm)


H Golding (Myrtle Farm)


K Golding (Myrtle Farm)


K Goschen (Sigers)


B T Hall (Field End)


J Hinman (Chenies Street)


H J Honour (Avondale)


Major Illingworth (The Gables)


H Jinks (Haydon Hall)


W Lee (Sunnyside)


C W Lee (Sunnyside)


J Marshall (The Grange)


A W McLellan (Devonshire Lodge)


T W Mills (The Rosery)


L Mills (The Rosery)


S Mills (The Rosery)


A Nash (The Woodman)


H J Nichols (The Case Is Altered)


H J Read (New Cottages)


E K Robinson (South Hill)


E J Simpson ("Weechwood")


W Simpson (Chenies Street)


J Stanfield (Field End)


F Strong (High Grove Lodge)


D Lacey-Smith (Spring Cottage)


F C Sudbury (Field End)


F Tapping (High Road)


A Tapping (Wheatsheaf)


J Telling (Homeleigh)


A Wright (Haydon Hall)


A N Wright (Haydon Hall)


W Whittingham (New Cottages)


E Wiles (Joel Street Farm)


Twenty-eight others came from Ruislip, Northwood, Harrow, and places further afield. The first eleven had two fixtures with the M.C.C. (Cross Arrows) in September, one at Lords and one at Eastcote.


Other first eleven games were with such sides as Ickenham, Old Elizabethans, Maidenhead, Harrow Town, Harrow St Marys, Wembley, and St Marylebone Borough Officers.




Affiliation to Cricket Club Conference


In 1934 the Club affiliated to the Cricket Club Conference and the subscription was as low as 7/6d. Membership increased so satisfactorily that the list was closed by 1937, and by 1945 the subscription was raised to ?1.


In 1935 the "Case" pavilion was used, and by 1938 the erection of a pavilion on the ground was planned, and a cricket tour proposed in 1939.


The 1936 and 1938 fixture cards show Saturday and Sunday games from 9th May to 20th September, thanks to messrs A M Conybeare, G Ellement, Stearne, Swain and J C Jacques.


The war over, a full fixture list of Saturday and Sunday games was arranged for 1945, two important fixtures being with London Counties C.C. June 7th, and Queens Park Rangers in September.


There were two elevens playing Saturdays and Sundays in 1946, and already among the full list of fixtures were important matches like J Hulme's County XI on Sunday, 16th June, Royal Household at Windsor on 24th August, and Queens Park Rangers on 11th August. Substantial sums were being given to hospitals as a result of collections at these matches. On 15th June, 1947, there was a charity match in aid of Ruislip-Northwood War Memorial Homes when a Middlesex County team, including Compton and Edrich, played Eastcote.




George Ellement: Fifty Years' Service



In September 1947, honour was offered to Mr George Ellement, who for fifty years had worked and played faithfully for the Club since the time when it was a village cricket club.  Now Eastcote had developed and expanded enormously and the cricket club had advanced in harmony.  Before the ned of the next year George Ellement, a great cricketer and a great friend of Eastcote village, passed on.







C H Wylde

Another Eastcote stalwart was Mr C H Wylde. In December, 1952, it was decided to make him a life member and he was presented with an illuminated address on the occasion of the annual dinner. He had served the Club on and off the field for twenty-five years.

Others there were who must be mentioned for outstanding generous support of the Club especially during the time of its revival. One runs the risk of making invidious distinctions when all the players and supporters deserve recognition, when all worked together for the good of all, talented members with bat and ball, as well as those not so talented who played the game as good sportsmen.

Nevertheless mention must be made of outstanding generosity. Messrs C V Galley, W Spencer and W Telling made generous donations to the cost of the new pavilion. Mr Wspencer provided a scoreboard, while Mr K Wilson gave the one in use at the present time.

But splendid fellows as they are, they would be the first to admit the fine support of all members in the hundred and one humble tasks that fall to their lot, without which nothing can be done. Unselfish teamwork under excellent leadership has added lustre to the already illustrious deeds of the little band of village cricketers who played the beautiful game long long ago.

While we love more than anything else to discover all that is possible about those early cricketers, we must bring the story, however briefly and sketchily, up to 1962.

The 1950 fixture card shows how hard all must have worked to obtain arrangements for: 1st team fixtures, Saturdays and Sundays; "A" team fixtures, Saturdays and Sundays; "B" team fixtures, Saturdays and Sundays; a Home Cricket Week, 17th-22nd July, and mid-week matches.


November 1935


Subscription 7/6d. "Case" pavilion hired


January 1936


Subscription 10/6d


January 1937


Match for Coronation Day


April 1937


Membership List Closed


November 1937


Proceeds of Charity Match to St Vincent's. A Second XI discussed. Subscription to be 15/-


August 1938


A cricket tour for 1939 proposed


November 1938


Erection of pavillion discussed. Council approached


October 1944


Council approached for exclusive use of ground


April 1945


Mr Gallery offers gift of fixture cards. Accommodation required for visiting teams


May 1945


London Counties match is offing. Bunting required. AA approached for direction signs. Mr Galley works on pavillion


November 1945


Exclusive use of ground still denied. Annual Dinner and Dance for 4th December


December 1945


After interview with Estates Committee of Council, Club resigned to share ground with Haydon Sports Club


February 1946


Fixture with Royal Household XI at Windsor. Erection of modern score board proposed by Mr Gallery


April 1946


Eight-four chairs bought. Northwood Hospital to profit from charity match


July 1946


As a result of charity match substantial cheques made to Northwood Hospital and St Vincent's. Haydon Hall ground offered to Club by Council as follows: Alternate Saturdays, Bank Holidays and every Sunday. Mr W Spencer has provided covers for wickets


September 1946


Mr W Spencer has given a score board, also four cups


October 1946


Question of obtaining permission to erect a new pavillion


November 1946


Charity match in June 1947 in aid of War Memorial Homes. Mid-week games for 1947. Subscriptions up to 30/-. 48 fixtures for 1st XI, 46 for 2nd XI and 6 for 3rd XI


January 1947


Annual Dinner and Dance an outstaning success. Special praise for messrs Stearn and Phelan


September 1947


Mr George Ellement a Life Member. Two more cups from Mr W Spencer


June 1948


Mr Gallery presented Club with an Ascot heater for tea hut


September 1948


Whist drives started


November 1948


Home Week for 1949 proposed. Passing of George Ellement. 300 copies of rules ot be distributed to win public support. Mr Gallery's whist drives very successful


December 1948


A Home Week in 949 proposed


February 1949


Mr Galley gave cheque covering profits from whist drives, October 1948 to February 1949. Arrangements with R W Hunt of Middlesex and Barclays Bank to assist in coaching. Sight screens and roof of tea hut in need of repair. Messrs Galley and Spencer volunteer to undertake it


May 1949


Honorary Members 39; Playing Members 61


August 1949


A tour for 1950 discussed


October 1949


Proposed Cricket Week 17th - 21st July


February 1951


Amsterdam C.C to send a team during week commencing 18th June 1951


March 1951


Indian Gymkhana to send a team


October 1951


Club to visit Amsterdam 12th-19th July 1952


August 1952


Secretary reported on Amsterdam visit. A team to be invited in 1953


February 1953


Telling trophy for merit


July 1953


Report of Amsterdam C.C visit


October 1953


Visit to Amsterdam 12th-18th June 1954


Visitors From Amsterdam

In the 1950's the Club reached the zenith of its fame, for it was in 1950-51 that the Club got in touch with the Amsterdam C.C. and arranged for a side to come to Eastcote. This was an enterprise needing imagination and intense preparation. The meetings of the two clubs that followed deserve a booklet to themselves, so much of interest and importance could be written of them. Suffice it to say that the tours in Holland and in England engendered and fostered a wonderful personal and lasting friendship. When the Netherlanders came to Eastcote they stayed at the homes of their hosts, and this gesture of friendship was extended to the Englishmen when they visited Amsterdam. The aim of each side was to give as much pleasure as possible to the other, not only by playing cricket together but by displaying the kindest hospitality. The result was a genuine friendship between individuals and also between the two nations.

In August, 1953, Fred Sabelson of the Amsterdam C.C. sent a telegram to Don Norris of Eastcote C.C. which said:
"Heartiest Congratulations on regaining the Ashes by glorious eight wickets' victory."

The Eastcote friends had taken their guests to see the second test match between England and South Africa at Lords. On other occasions the visitors were taken to the H.Q. of cricket to see Oxford and Cambridge match, and county matches as the guests of the Middlesex C.C.C. Similarly in Holland the Englishmen were received by the Mayor of Amsterdam in the Town Hall, taken to the Hague, and conducted on trips through canals and Port of Amsterdam.

At other times Eastcote arranged for their friends to visit Windsor and interesting places in the vacinity. Finally, both here and in Holland, the evenings were spent in social gatherings. In this connection Mr and Mrs Dore of The Grange, Eastcote, always invited the visitors to their charming old house for a cocktail party.

The significance of these seven tours from 1951 to 1961, from a national point of view, is illustrated by a letter from Amsterdam dated 6th February, 1952, to Mr Norris, Secretary of Eastcote, and signed by eleven of the Amsterdam C.C., which said:-
"Stricken by the sudden passing away of your beloved King George VI, we wish to send you these words of sympathy expressing our sincere hope that your young Queen Elizabeth may bring welfare to your country. It occurred that just tonight we are together to make further arrangements in connection with the visit of your club to our country.
With friendly greetings."

Dated 11 July, 1952, our own local council sent this address to the Burgomaster of the City of Amsterdam, Holland:-
"The Chairman and members of the Urban District Council of Ruislip-Northwood in the County of Middlesex desire to take the opportunity afforded by the visit to your City of the Eastcote Cricket Club (the oldest established cricket club in their district) of conveying to you and the citizens of Amsterdam on behalf of all residents in the Urban District Council of Ruislip-Northwood their fraternal greetings and their best wishes for the future well-being of your City.

The Council recalls with great pleasure the visit of the Amsterdam Cricket Club to Eastcote in the summer of 1951 and believes that such interchange visits are of inestimable value in cementing the long-standing friendship between our great countries."


Clerk of the Council

In addition to these tours, since 1955 every year at the close of the County Cricket fixtures Sir Stanley Rous, until recently Secretary of the Football Association, has brought a team of prominent sportsmen, cricketers and footballers to the charming old Haydon Hall ground to play an Eastcote XI in an all-day match, generally on a Sunday. Local hospitals and the Ruislip-Nothwood war Memorial Fund have profited enormously from the proceeds of these matches.

The Daily Telegraph reported the game played in August, 1961, in which Ian Bedford, Captain of Middlesex, hit 51 in 25 minutes, with three sixes and five fours. Then he bowled his leg breaks to take five wickets for 24 runs in eleven overs. Ron Hooker, Peter Parfitt and Douglas Insole were also in the side. In other years Sir Stanley has brought down such notable sportsmen as A M Moir, E C Petrie and J A Hayes of New Zealand, A Phebey (Kent), F N S Creek (soccer international and Wilts C.C.C.), Indians like Desai, Maharajah of Baroda and Nedkarni, and many others.

More Recently

The pavilion has been rebuilt several times, with our present clubhouse being built, mainly by the club members, in the 1970’s.

We regard ourselves as a true family club, with our colts and their parents being an important part of the club and its future.  In fact many of our current and past senior players gained their knowledge and love of cricket through our colts section, and now their children are doing the same.

On Saturdays we have three sides playing league cricket in the Middlesex County Cricket League and a 4th XI that plays in the Thames Valley League.  This is the Premier League in the county, and during 2012 all three teams played in the top leagues for their sides – a great achievement. A number of our 1st XI players also play for Middlesex 2nd XI and the Middlesex Academy

At the end of the 2010 league season our First Team finished third - an outstanding achievement and our highest ever placing. 

On Sundays we have a mixture of friendlies and league matches, with two or three teams usually playing.  Our Academy side, which is specifically aimed at selecting young players from our colts section and introducing them to adult cricket, plays league cricket on a Sunday. Our Saturday 4th eleven will provide even more opportunities for our older colts – continuing to build our teams for the future of the club.   We also have a Gentlemen’s side, which play a few matches against like minded sides on Sundays.

We have started a Ladies section, and they will be playing their first matches during 2011 and have joined a league for 2012. Games will be played on Sunday afternoons.

We are very proud of our colts section, which caters for boys from the age of 5 to 17.  We have 280 colts (who said cricket isn’t a popular sport for the young?) and last year had to close our waiting list when it reached a 100. In 2011 our Under 11's won both the County League and County Cup to remain unbeaten through the year and our Under 17's won the County League.